Every bottle has a story

I am not a wine expert, but with each bottle I try and share with friends, I learn more. Wine is an exceptional social drink; it is the marijuana of alcoholic beverages because it must be shared. I seek to share with you my thoughts and experiences as I drink the wine in my closet, as well as my enthusiasm for the finds that come my way and the excellent values that I find. I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences too, so please share!

Saturday, February 5, 2011

A delicious left hook

When the Aussies do Shiraz right they do it awesomely, and the 2007 vintage of The Boxer was spot on. Mollydooker of South Australia produces many excellent wines, and most are reasonably priced.

I picked up this version of The Boxer about a year ago, and it survived the horrendous heat of last summer when my closet was routinely 80 degrees; not the best of conditions for storing wine.

At first taste, this wine presented a luscious, almost buttery flavor of rich blackberries and a smooth spiciness that finished long and elegantly. Damn, this was good!

This was served with a basic steak meal, except that the New York strip was bagged ahead of time in a Korean barbecue marinade normally used for chicken and pork, where it sat for about 4 hours. It gives the meat a smoky sweetness that went well with the spice of this Shiraz. Served also with butternut squash seasoned with cinnamon with a side of mixed veggies, the wine tended to lose its spice when accompanying the squash, but the fruit remained full and mouthwatering. And at the end of the meal, the spice returned for a flavorful finish.

Good stuff. I rate it with a 9 using my scale at the left.

No comments:

Post a Comment