Every bottle has a story

I am not a wine expert, but with each bottle I try and share with friends, I learn more. Wine is an exceptional social drink; it is the marijuana of alcoholic beverages because it must be shared. I seek to share with you my thoughts and experiences as I drink the wine in my closet, as well as my enthusiasm for the finds that come my way and the excellent values that I find. I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences too, so please share!

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

A raspberry of a rosé

When drinking rosé, what's the fruit that initially comes to mind? For me it's always been strawberry. I would almost venture to say that strawberry is the sin quo non of rosé. But what of raspberry? That's what the label on the Charles & Charles 2010 Columbia Valley Rosé says, and when I tasted it, I had to agree. This rosé has a delightful crisp raspberry flavor that is really interesting. This makes it a tad sweeter than other rosés, but not too sweet. It finishes dry like a delicious rosé should.

This wine is a blend of Syrah, Morvèdre, Cinsault, and Grenache, very much a Rhône style, not unlike the whites from that region. It holds up with bolder and spicier dishes too. I had it with my "famous" Balinese pork dish, which is both sweet and spicy. See the recipe below.

This has been a great year for rosé and I have found many wonderful wines for $12 and less. And this one comes right up to that $12 price point. I have seen it for more, but seriously, if you shop around, you'll find it for $12.

Wine Spectator scores this an 88. I give it an 8.5 using my scale at the left.

Balinese pork recipe

I find the best pork to use is boneless rib meat. But the meat from boneless pork chops works also (not as tender though IMO).

Partially freeze the meat so it's firm and easy to slice, but not so hard you can't slice it.

Slice the pork thinly and lay out on a plate, sprinkle with salt and pepper; use a lot of black pepper.

Depending on how much pork you use, you can make layers, salt and peppering each layer. Let the pork sit for a while with the salt and pepper.

Prepare/ready the following:

One small or half a medium onion, thinly sliced (use either white or red)
2-3 whole cloves of garlic, or use about a teaspoon of minced garlic
2 teaspoons of ground ginger
150 ml of hot water (hot from the tap is fine)
5 tablespoons of sweet soy sauce (the thick kind, Indonesian style)
1/2 teaspoon of sambal olek (more if you like it really spicy)

Stir the sweet soy sauce into the hot water so it's all mixed.
Heat oil in a wok (I used bacon grease for added flavor, but sesame oil is good too, or just regular corn oil).
Stir in all the pork at once, stir around.
Add the garlic, stir until pork is cooked.
Add sliced onion and ground ginger, stir quickly (the ginger will start to coat the wok).
Add sambal olek, stir so that the chili is distributed evenly.
Add the water and sweet soy mixture, stir and scrape the wok so the ginger that stuck to the wok gets mixed in too.
Bring mixture to a boil, then turn down heat to simmer and cover.

While the pork is simmering, start your rice.
Check the pork occasionally and stir.
When the rice is done (or after about 20 minutes), remove the cover from the pork and let it bubble for a while so the liquid evaporates slightly and thickens.
Serve with the rice.


This also goes well with a Riesling or Gewürztraminer.

No comments:

Post a Comment